As we bid farewell to the old year and embrace the new, what better way to celebrate than by indulging in a delectable French tradition: dark hot chocolate! This luxurious beverage is perfect for toasting to a bright future, offering both delicious flavours and numerous mind-body benefits. In this blog, we will guide you through a sumptuous recipe that will transport your taste buds straight to France. Additionally, we will explore the myriad advantages of dark chocolate and answer five of the most frequently asked questions about this heartwarming concoction.
- 140ml whole guernsey milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 20g 80Noir Ultra dark chocolate beads
- 2 tsp unsweetened dutch cocoa powder
- a dash of maple syrup or honey
- A dash of pure vanilla extract
- A pinch of sea salt
- Optional toppings: whipped coconut cream, marshmallows, shaved chocolate
1. In a medium-sized heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup (honey) over medium heat. Stir until the maple syrup (honey) dissolves and the mixture is steaming but not boiling.
2. Slowly add in the dark chocolate while continuously stirring. Be sure to mix well so that all of the chocolate melts evenly.
3. Once the chocolate has melted and blended into a smooth texture, stir in the vanilla extract and a pinch of sea salt.
4. Remove from heat and let it sit for a minute before serving.
5. Pour into your favourite mug, add optional toppings if desired, and enjoy your decadent toast to the new year!
Mind-Body Benefits of Dark Chocolate:
Dark hot chocolate offers more than just rich flavours; it also boasts considerable mental and physical benefits. Dark chocolate has been linked to reduced stress levels, improved cognitive function, and a boost in mood. Additionally, dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and potential cardiovascular and anti-inflammatory benefits.
1. What type of dark chocolate should I use?
We recommend 80Noir Ultra chocolate beads
2. Can I use milk alternatives?
Absolutely! Almond, soy, or oat milk all make delicious non-dairy options.
3. How do I store leftovers?
You can store leftover dark hot chocolate in the refrigerator for up to three days. Reheat gently over low heat before serving.
4. Can I add any extra flavours or spices?
Experiment with additional spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or even a pinch of cayenne pepper for a unique twist on the traditional recipe.
5. Is dark hot chocolate gluten-free?
Dark hot chocolate is generally gluten-free; however, double-check the labels on your cocoa powder and chocolate to ensure no cross-contamination has occurred. 80Noir Ultra is gluten free.
Dark hot chocolate is not only an indulgence for your taste buds but also a beneficial treat for your mind and body. By incorporating this French tradition into your new year celebrations, you can experience a festive and wholesome way to welcome the exciting opportunities that lie ahead.
Happy sipping and happy new year!