What better way to embrace this magical time than by indulging in a decadent mug of mulled spice infused dark hot chocolate? Not only does this delightful beverage provide an explosion of flavours, but it also offers numerous mind-body benefits! In this blog post, we'll walk you through the enchanting process of making this heavenly drink and touch on its incredible health advantages.
- 140ml GF Oat milk
- 25g 80Noir Ultra dark chocolate, beads
- 1/2 tsp pure maple syrup (or sweetener of choice - optional (we don't recommend it but its up to you)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 2 whole allspice berries
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
1. In a medium-sized saucepan, gently heat the milk over low heat.
2. Add the chopped dark chocolate and maple syrup (if using) to the saucepan, stirring occasionally until the chocolate has fully melted and the mixture is well combined.
3. Bundle the cinnamon stick, star anise, allspice berries, and whole cloves together using a piece of cheesecloth or place them in a tea ball. Add it to the saucepan along with the orange zest.
4. Allow the mixture to simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure even distribution of the spices.
5. Remove from heat and let it steep for an additional 5 minutes before discarding the spice bundle.
6. Stir in a pinch of nutmeg and salt, then pour the hot chocolate into your favourite mug, garnish with a cinnamon stick or whipped cream if desired, and enjoy!
- Dark chocolate is known for its antioxidant properties, which have been linked to improved heart health.
- The warm spices like cinnamon, star anise, and cloves can help improve digestion and reduce inflammation.
- The calming aroma of mulled spices can help reduce stress and promote a sense of well-being.
1. Can I use pre-made hot chocolate mix instead of dark chocolate?
While you can use a pre-made mix, using high-quality dark chocolate will provide a richer flavour and maximize potential health benefits.
2. What dairy-free alternatives work best for this recipe?
Almond milk, oat milk, or soy milk are all excellent choices for creating a creamy drink.
3. How can I adjust the sweetness?
You can modify the amount of maple syrup or use an alternative sweetener like honey or agave nectar to suit your desired sweetness.
4. How long will the prepared hot chocolate keep in the refrigerator?
You can store any leftover hot chocolate in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Be sure to reheat it gently over low heat before serving.
5. Can I make this recipe in large batches for parties or gatherings?
Absolutely! Simply multiply the ingredients proportionally based on the number of servings required. Just ensure you have a large enough saucepan to accommodate the increased volume.
A mug of mulled spice infused dark hot chocolate is not only a delightful way to warm up on crisp Autumn days but also offers numerous health benefits. With its rich flavour and soothing aroma, you'll quickly find this concoction becoming