Cold winter nights call for a cup of rich, indulgent hot chocolate. Upgrade your classic hot chocolate recipe this season with our incredible dark hot chocolate infused with festive flavours perfect for the winter!
Not only will this delightful Christmas-inspired beverage warm you up, but it also brings along some fantastic mind and body benefits. Plus, we've got the top 5 FAQs covered to make sure you have all the information you need to recreate this cosy drink at home.
- 120ml GF Oat milk
- 20ml coconut cream
- 25g 80Noir Ultra dark chocolate
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, combine milk, coconut cream, and the chocolate on low heat. Stir constantly until the chocolate melts completely and becomes smooth.
2. Add the cinnamon stick, nutmeg, ground ginger, and sea salt to the mixture. Increase heat to medium-low and continue stirring.
3. Allow the mixture to simmer gently for about 5 minutes until all the flavors are well blended.
4. Remove from heat and discard the cinnamon stick.
5. Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream if desired. Garnish with an additional cinnamon stick for that extra festive touch!
6. Enjoy your delightful Christmas-inspired infused dark hot chocolate while cozying up by the fireplace or snuggling under a warm blanket.
- Dark chocolate is known for its mood-enhancing properties - it helps release endorphins, making you feel happier and more relaxed.
- The antioxidants present in dark chocolate can help improve blood flow, providing mental clarity and supporting heart health.
- Cinnamon aids in digestion, helps regulate blood sugar, and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Nutmeg has a calming effect on the nervous system and helps with insomnia.
- Ginger can soothe the digestive system and helps in relieving nausea.
1. Can I substitute milk chocolate for dark chocolate?
Dark chocolate is preferred in this recipe due to its rich flavor and health benefits. However, you can use milk chocolate if desired, but it will alter the flavour and nutritional profile and take it out of GF.
2. Is it possible to make this dairy-free?
Absolutely! Substitute dairy milk with almond milk, oat milk, or any other non-dairy alternative for a delicious lactose-free version.
3. Can I use powdered spices instead of a cinnamon stick?
Yes, you can swap the cinnamon stick with 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
4. How do I store any leftover hot chocolate?
Store any remaining hot chocolate in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently on the stovetop when ready to enjoy again.
5. Can I add in other flavours or spices?
Feel free to experiment by adding a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract or swapping out one of the spices for others like cardamom or allspice to customise your infused dark hot chocolate experience!