This is a super duper easy peasy cake to make. Loosely termed cake as there is no baking and you pop it in the fridge but its entry up to you what you add to it, so its a great one for clearing out your cupboards!
- 200g 80Noir Ultra chocolate beads
- 100g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1tbsp golden syrup or honey
- 50g cranberries
- 25g of hazelnuts (chopped)
- 150g digestive biscuits ( I used Rich Tea))
- The zest of fresh orange
- 1 tbsp of pomegranate juice
- Line a loaf tin, about 20 x 10cm, with baking parchment.
- Put the chocolate, butter and syrup or honey into a heatproof bowl. Stand this over a pan of just-simmering water and leave, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth.
- Keep the heat low and don’t let the water in the pan touch the bowl.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the hazelnuts and crush the biscuits to very coarse crumbs – you want some nice chunky bits still in the mix. Combine the hazelnuts, cranberries and biscuits in a large bowl.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl, add the zest of orange, and pomegranate juice and mix thoroughly.
- Tip this chocolatey mix into the prepared loaf tin and smooth it out.
- Leave to cool, then transfer to the fridge for several hours to allow it to set completely.
- Lift the ‘tiffin’ out of the loaf tin in its parchment, then carefully peel the paper away.
- Use a sharp, heavy knife to cut the cake into 12 pieces, or smaller bites if you prefer. Put them into an airtight container and store in the fridge until needed.
Tip - Find whatever you have in your cupboards and add, there is no limit to this.I do love the zest of orange as it makes it lighter and fresher but you can add anything you like :)